Gerard Cosmetics "1995" Lipstick on Dark Skin (UK Review)

I don't think a single person in the beauty blogisphere has NOT heard of this (in?)famous lipstick.
Created by the amazing and inspiring Jaclyn Hill (famous beauty blogger/vlogger), this shade is a nod to Kylie Jenner's  90's inspired lip colour that is constantly posted and reposted on instagram.

Just a sidenote, I don't think I'll be able to watch another "Kylie Jenner Inspired" makeup tutorial ever again...




Anyway, I was curious to see how it would look on my skin tone but I couldn't find any swatches so I just took a leap of faith and ordered for it. I figured that the browner a lipstick looks on lighter skin tones, the more compatible to my complexion it's likely to be.



Normally, I would pair this with a brown lip pencil, but here it is swatched by itself so you can see its true colour. 

Review
I'm not going to go into too much detail because there's enough information out there about this lipstick, but here's a quick run down of my experience with it.

It has a very matte finish and is definitely one of the longest lasting nude lip colours I own.

If you're sensitive to fragrant lipsticks, this may not be for you. I can't quite put my finger on what it smells like but personally I'm not too bothered by it.

A little bit goes a long way with this lipstick so you don't need very much to get great colour pay off.

The reason why I got this is because I'm trying to build a collection of good quality nude lip colours for my kit.
Bear in mind, however, that if you are around my complexion, living in the UK and looking to achieve that Kylie Jenner lip effect, this may not be the wisest purchase. This colour was created to Jaclyn Hill's taste and she, of course, is much lighter than we are. Although '1995' does look very nice on our skin, you might find that it doesn't stand out, colour wise, the way you might want it to.
I don't regret buying it, however I won't be surprised if there's a dupe already out there or one yet to be released that, for dark skinned Brits, is a lot easier to get a hold of.

What do you think about Gerard Cosmetics?

Take Care and God Bless,

Fofo x

CONVERSATION

2 comments:

  1. I had not heard of this lipstick or Jacylin Hill (maybe I've been living under a makeup blogisphere rock or something).

    Its a nice colour on you but, like you said its probably not the best for the matte nude lip effect for dark skin. Well at least now I'm in the know - oh + Kyle Jenner who's she? (joke) :) At the least I have known of her.

    Thanks for posting this :)

    ReplyDelete